“One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming.” -Morgan Harper Nichols
I’ve got a quarter century of life experiences and self discovery under my belt. Entering my mid-twenties feels different than how I imagined it to be. I thought I’d have it all figured out- my identity, my purpose, what I want to do with my life. Safe to say I don’t have all the answers, but I’m strangely content with that reality.
Growing up in a South Asian family and being the first born of immigrant parents, I always did my best to live up to the expectations of those around me. Parents, grandparents, society, friends, even strangers have always had an input of what “I should be doing” or what “I should strive to achieve.”
Turning 25 feels liberating in a way. I’ve reached a point where I’ve acquired the understanding to make peace with my past, think independently and use the lessons from all my highs & lows to propel me towards living an authentic life.
This post is dedicated to the younger version of Ashna who was unsure of who she was but never gave up on the search. There’s no such thing as waking up one day and having a eureka moment. Everyday you learn something new about yourself, and I think that’s the beauty of life.
Let the countdown begin…
25. Promise not to put yourself in a box. Strive to be a well rounded individual by keeping an open mind to what crosses your path.
24. Dress comfortably and embrace the sporty chick vibes 🙂
23. Save for your future self.
22. Your worth isn’t determined by the number of degrees behind your name, the amount of money in the bank or the number on the scale. Live a life that is fulfilling and strive to be a good human being. That’s the value you bring to the table.
21.Don’t buy a full size of any new product until you’ve used a sample of it first.
20. WEAR SUNSCREEN! Sun damage is no joke
19. Trust that you know what’s best for you.
18. Eating a plant based diet will allow you to develop a healthy relationship with food. Eat to nourish not to fill a void.
17. Never chase people. Those who are meant to be in your life will be there unconditionally.
16. Self acceptance & self-esteem aren’t instantaneous. You have to practice them daily.
15. Share your goofy/quirky side with those you love and just have fun.
14. Create a simple skincare routine that you will do daily.
13. Begin a meditation practice sooner. It’ll help you reframe your negative thoughts, alleviate stress and improve quality of sleep.
12. Stay curious.
11. Forgiving others isn’t accepting what they did, it just means that you value your inner peace more than holding onto painful memories.
“Reflection. Looking back so that the view looking forward is even clearer.” -Unknown
10. Floss and wear your retainers
9. Discover your communication style and don’t be afraid of confrontation. Setting boundaries is healthy & necessary.
8. Exercise seems like punishment to you right now, but when you discover powerlifting you’re going to know what it’s like to truly enjoy training. Don’t throw in the towel yet.
7. Learn to be happy in your own company. It’s ok to be alone.
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help out of fear of being judged. Honor your needs first.
5. Go for walks more often. Being in nature is so therapeutic and grounding.
4. Cultivate your interests for writing, reading and creative expression. Stay consistent with your blog!
3. Make an effort in reaching out to people first. Any relationship is a two-way street. Show the people you care about how important they are to you by prioritizing time for them.
2. Learn to say NO; it saves precious time and energy from doing things that don’t align with you energetically.
- You are enough just the way you are. Don’t change to fit in with the crowd. Be your own person, do what makes you happy and don’t stress about the rest.
“what’s the greatest lesson a woman should learn?”
“that since day one, she’s already had everything she needs within herself. it’s the world that convinced her she did not.” – Rupi Kaur
Thank you all for joining me on this post! I will continuously strive to inspire and educate one blog at a time.
With love & light,